How to put on compression hose in 5 steps
When support hose are worn for the first time, it is normal to feel slight discomfort because of the snugness of the fabric. If uncomfortable, suggest wearing them progressively, 2 hours per day. If the discomfort is significant or if it persists, the use of the compression hose should be stopped and a consult with a health professional should be conducted.
Step 1 : Slide the hand inside the sock and grab the heel.
Step 2 : Partially turn the socks inside out.
Step 3 : Place the foot inside the sock and, using two hands, slide the sock up to the heel.
Step 4 : Make sure the heel is well-positioned in place.
Step 5 : Pull the sock from the top until it is completely in place.
- Be sure to leave the space of two fingers below the bend of the knee to avoid creating a tourniquet effect.
- Make sure the fabric is tight and crease-free to evenly distribute the compression on the leg and gently pull on the tip of the foot to make room for toes.
How to remove them
Always remove hose before going to bed. During the night, the return is more normal, since legs are horizontal.
Step 1: Pull the top of the sock and turn it inside out by gently pulling towards the ankle.
Step 2: Place the thumb of each hand between the sock and the leg and slide the sock down towards the toes.
Step 3: Gently pull the sock in order to remove completely from the foot.
- Wash before using them for the first time.
- Wash hose daily.
- Washing protects the durability and effectiveness of the hose by removing body secretions from the elastic fibres.
- Wash in tepid or cold water.
- Scrub the foot portion of the hose well.
- Do not ring or twist, remove excess water from hose by rolling them in a towel and squeezing.
- Air dry flat, away from any heat source.
- Replace hose every 6 months.
- Do not use brands like Zero or Woolite, which contain petroleum derivatives;
- Do not use fabric softeners, which can clog the pores of the fabric and make the fibres stick together;
- Do not use chlorine bleach;
- Do not place in washer/dryer.
Tips for Thigh-high hose:
•On occasion, use an alcohol swab to clean the elastic bands of thigh-high hose to remove skin residue.